Living the bus life might sound like an idyllic way to escape the daily grind, but as Jacie Leopold can attest, it comes with its own set of challenges and rewards. Over the past year, Jacie has chronicled her adventures in her skoolie, named Fergy, on her YouTube channel, Jacie’s Journey. In this interview, we’ll take a closer look at some of Jacie’s most memorable experiences, highlighting the realities of bus life while celebrating the resilience and determination of a solo female traveler.
Jacie began her journey by converting a 20-year-old school bus into a cozy and functional tiny home on wheels. Along the way, she has faced numerous obstacles, from mechanical breakdowns to harassment and being confused for homeless. Yet, Jacie has managed to overcome each challenge with a positive attitude and a healthy dose of ingenuity.
One such instance was when Jacie’s bus developed transmission problems after a 1,600-mile cross-country trip. Undeterred, she took matters into her own hands and found a plan to repair it herself. Similarly, when the heater core ruptured and flooded the floor with coolant, Jacie was able to locate and fix the problem, saving hundreds of dollars in the process.
In addition to her mechanical prowess, Jacie has also learned valuable lessons in self-sustainability, including solar power, water conservation, and cooking vegan meals. Throughout her journey, she has tested various solar equipment brands and installed renewable energy systems in other skoolies, such as her friend’s GMC short bus.
Jacie’s bus life adventures have led her to explore beautiful locations across the country, from Portland, Maine to Stockbridge, Massachusetts. She has met and made friends with other nomads, shared her love for running on new trails, and even helped raise funds for the Arkansas ACLU in support of transgender youth.
But life on the road is not without its challenges. Jacie has had to deal with the stress of finding places to park and sleep in cities with strict regulations, as well as navigating the difficulties of being a solo transgender woman living in a tiny home.
Despite the ups and downs, Jacie’s Journey remains a source of inspiration for nomads, wanderers, and tiny house enthusiasts alike. Her candid account of bus life showcases the realities of this unique lifestyle while highlighting the resilience and determination of its intrepid adventurers.
Jacie Leopold’s commitment to sustainable living is evident in her bus life journey. By living in a skoolie, she significantly reduces her environmental impact and embraces a minimalist lifestyle. One of the essential aspects of her sustainable approach is utilizing solar power to meet her energy needs. With the installation of solar panels on her bus, Jacie not only minimizes her reliance on traditional power sources but also reduces her carbon footprint.
Living off-grid allows Jacie to carefully consider her consumption habits and promotes a more eco-conscious mindset. She values the importance of reducing waste, conserving water, and repurposing materials whenever possible. As she travels across the country in her skoolie, Jacie encourages others to explore the benefits of living a sustainable life and raises awareness about the importance of environmental stewardship.
By sharing her experiences through her YouTube channel and blog, Jacie Leopold hopes to inspire others to consider alternative ways of living that prioritize the health of our planet. Through her unique journey, she demonstrates that bus life can be a fulfilling and environmentally responsible choice for those seeking to reduce their impact and embrace a more sustainable lifestyle.
If you’re interested in following Jacie Leopold’s journey, be sure to check out her YouTube channel, Jacie’s Journey, and subscribe for updates on her latest adventures. As Jacie continues to explore the world in her skoolie, there’s no telling what exciting experiences await her on the open road.
Jacie Leopold’s advice for others interested in pursuing the bus life or a similar alternative lifestyle includes the following tips:
- Research and planning: Take the time to research different types of alternative living options such as skoolies, van life, tiny homes, or RV living. Understand the costs, challenges, and benefits associated with each option to determine which best suits your needs and preferences.
- Start small and simple: Before diving into a full-scale bus conversion, try spending some time in a smaller vehicle or living space to see if the lifestyle is right for you. It’s essential to familiarize yourself with the challenges and adjustments that come with living in a limited space.
- Learn from others: Follow blogs, YouTube channels, and social media accounts of people who are already living the lifestyle you aspire to. Engage with their content and learn from their experiences, mistakes, and successes.
- Embrace minimalism: Living in a small space requires letting go of material possessions that may not be essential. Adopt a minimalist mindset and prioritize quality over quantity.
- Develop DIY skills: Building and maintaining your living space requires a range of skills such as carpentry, plumbing, and electrical work. Invest time in learning these skills to save money and ensure the quality of your living space.
- Plan for the unexpected: Prepare for potential challenges such as breakdowns, weather-related issues, or changes in personal circumstances. Set aside an emergency fund and have a contingency plan in place.
- Be flexible and adaptable: Embrace the unpredictability of the lifestyle and be open to adapting your plans as needed. The ability to go with the flow and adapt to new situations is key to a successful bus life experience.
- Connect with the community: Reach out to others living a similar lifestyle and engage with the broader bus life and van life communities. Building connections and friendships can provide valuable support, advice, and companionship on your journey.
- Prioritize sustainability: Consider incorporating eco-friendly practices into your lifestyle, such as using solar power, conserving water, and reducing waste. By doing so, you can contribute to a healthier planet and embrace a more conscious way of living.
- Enjoy the journey: Pursuing an alternative lifestyle is a unique and rewarding experience. Embrace the challenges, cherish the successes, and remember to enjoy the journey along the way.
As Jacie Leopold continues her journey, she is taking on an exciting new adventure: starting a food truck business. Building on her love for sustainable living and community engagement, Jacie aims to bring delicious, eco-friendly food to people on the go. Her passion for cooking and desire to share her culinary creations with others will be at the forefront of this venture.
In line with her sustainable lifestyle, Jacie plans to incorporate eco-friendly practices into her food truck business, such as using locally sourced ingredients, minimizing food waste, and utilizing energy-efficient appliances. This new endeavor not only allows her to share her passion for cooking but also to spread awareness about the importance of living consciously and supporting local economies.
Jacie’s food truck will also serve as an extension of her bus life experience, allowing her to connect with fellow travelers, nomads, and food enthusiasts. Through her unique culinary offerings and commitment to sustainability, Jacie aims to inspire others to embrace alternative lifestyles, build community connections, and tread lightly on our planet.
Get connected on Social